Sunday, September 25, 2011

I'm Back!!

Hi, everyone!  My name is Anna Lee Merced and I used to have a blog on LiveJournal, but I haven't posted in it for a long time because I didn't like the pop-up ads they put on there.  I've been wanting to make a new blog forever and now I finally did it!  I wanted to try and transfer all my old LiveJournal posts over here, but I decided it would be too long and hard, so I put a link to my old journal over on the right side of this blog if you want to read them.

For those that don't know me, I am a Gotz doll.  I am 18 inches tall, nine years old, and in the fourth grade.  I live in Michigan with my owner, Katie, and her husband, Matt.  I take violin and tap dancing lessons, and in school I love reading and science.  I also like Nancy Drew mysteries, anything to do with penguins, and playing pretend games.  Oh, and I have a pet guinea pig named Ginger Rogers.  She is awesome.  My best friend is named Hodel, and she lives far away in Ohio.

I think for my first post here I will tell a little bit about my rock collection.  Some people think rocks are boring, but I don't.  A lot of rocks are millions and billions of years old - imagine what they would say if they could tell us everything they've seen in all that time!  I have picked the top three rocks from my collection to show you - my Gold, Silver, and Bronze medal winning rocks!

Bronze Medal Rock:  My pink and tan rock from the Badlands National Park!

Here I am finding it in the park!  Most of the big rock formations in the Badlands included this pretty pink color, so I was excited to find a souvenir rock that would remind me of my trip later.


 
Silver Medal Rock:  My pink and yellow striped lucky rock!

Did you know that a rock with a stripe that goes all the way around it is lucky?   If you find one, you should hang onto it or give it to a friend to use as a lucky charm!  Katie found this rock when she was my age, and now it is my lucky charm.  I love the pretty pink and yellow colors.



Gold Medal Rock:  My geode!!!

I think geodes are the coolest rocks of all.  I found this one out in the yard one day - I was just walking along and kicked an ordinary-looking stone with my shoe, and saw a flash of sparkle in the sunshine when it flipped over.  I picked it up and saw it was far from an ordinary stone.  This is what it looks like if you look at the back side:

 
Pretty boring, huh?  But flip it over, and this is what you see:


Beautiful sparkling white and tan crystals hidden inside!  Scientists aren't exactly sure how all geodes are made, but a theory is that when a rock has a hollow space inside of it, over millions of years minerals and things from groundwater can seep into the cavity and form crystals inside it.  Isn't that neat?

I think geodes are extra special because they are a little like people, in a way.  Somebody might seem plain and ordinary on the outside, but take the time to look a little closer and inside they are surprising, beautiful, special...just like a geode.

5 comments:

  1. Anna Lee! So happy you're back. I just bookmarked this new site.

    You're nothing like a geode because you shine inside and out.

    Your friend, Tupper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna Lee! Good to see you posting again! I haven't been blogging lately but I look forward to reading your posts. :) So glad you're still taking tap classes! Your geode is pretty cool too. Miss you in New York!
    Love,
    Livia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Tupper and Livia!! Thank you very much for your nice comments. :-) So glad you guys found me at my new blog! I have missed writing in one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna Lee,

    It's good to see you blogging again! Blogger is so much easier than LiveJournal.

    Your rock collection looks cool! Thank you for sharing some of your favorites with us.

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna Lee,

    Wow! Your gold medal rock is REALLY cool! It's really neat what we can find in our own backyards!

    I'm glad your blog is back!

    Can't wait to see you in a few days!

    -Hodel

    ReplyDelete