Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Wonderful Autumn Afternoon

Hodel and I had a great day today!  It was nice and warm outside, so after school we went to play in the park.


In school we are reading a book called My Side of the Mountain.  It is about a boy who goes to live in the woods and survives off the land.  It is pretty good!  So Hodel and I decided to pretend we had left home and gone to live in the woods like Sam Gribley does in the book.


Sam lives inside a hollowed-out hemlock tree, so Hodel and I set out down the path to see if we could find a hollow tree to make our house in.


We had no luck finding a hollow tree, so we took a rest and debated if building a tree house up high or making a lean-to type of shelter on the ground would be better.  I wanted the tree house because we would be safer from animals getting inside, but Hodel wanted the lean-to because we could build a fire right outside the door to keep warm.  But before we could make our final decision, we had to leave the park and end our game, because....
  

 We got to go to the farmer's market and pick out our Halloween pumpkins!!  There were whole bins full of pumpkins to choose from.  We looked very carefully to find just the right ones.


We will wait until it gets closer to Halloween to carve them.  I can't wait!  I love October!

No comments:

Post a Comment