Sunday, October 9, 2011

Yom Kippur!

Yesterday was a very important Jewish holiday called Yom Kippur.  Hodel told me all about it - it is probably the most important day of the whole year for Jewish people.  It is the Day of Atonement, where you are supposed to be sorry for all of your wrongdoings and ask for forgiveness from God and any people you have hurt.  You are also supposed to fast, and not eat any food or drink anything for the whole day.  You are not supposed to work, either.  You are supposed to pray a lot, and if you go to a synagogue there are special services for Yom Kippur. 


I did not want Hodel to have to fast all alone, so I did too.  I did get hungry and thirsty, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  I prayed, too, like Hodel, about things I have done wrong.  I asked Katie to forgive me for calling her mean when she wouldn't buy me a huge stuffed penguin at the store, and I asked Matt to forgive me for eating all the dried strawberries out of his cereal and then pretending I didn't know what happened when he asked me about it.  They both said I was forgiven.  Hooray!

This morning when we woke up, we ate a nice hearty breakfast right away, and it was so good to eat and drink again!  We had hot strawberry oatmeal and big glasses of milk.  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Looks cool! Anna Lee, you are such a good friend for not wanting Hodel to be alone, and good for you for appolizing for the bad things you have done.

    ReplyDelete