Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dance Class!

When I visited my friend Livia in New York a few summers ago and saw her tap dance, I wanted to take lessons really bad.  I didn't think I would be very good but Livia said I should do it anyway, so I did.  And I've gotten a lot better since those first lessons!  I go to tap class every Thursday from 3:30 to 5:00, and Hodel gets to come with me while she's here.  Hodel has acted in lots of musicals and you have to know how to dance for some of them, so she knows how to tap dance and is pretty good!  So she fits right in to my class.

Before class starts we all stretch out our muscles and talk.  The blonde girl doing the splits with her whole chest on the floor is named Jessica.  She is the best dancer in our class, and I try not to be jealous of her, but sometimes she brags a lot and I don't like that. :-(  She is always in the front row for our dances.


My teacher is Miss Adams, and she is the same teacher I've had ever since I started dancing.  I love her!  She is so nice and fun and doesn't make anyone feel bad if we make mistakes, as long as we are trying our best.  As soon as she comes into the studio we all say hello and then get right to work.


Right after Halloween we started working on our Christmas dance.  Every holiday season my dance school takes a day to go to nursing homes and perform our Christmas dances for the patients.  We get to miss part of the school day and everything.  This year my class is doing our dance to a jazzy version of "Jingle Bells."  The music is really fast and I have to concentrate very hard so I don't miss any of the steps!


Sometimes we have to do the steps for Miss Adams one at a time or in smaller groups.  Hodel and I did our steps together, and we didn't mess up once!  We were very in sync - it helps that we can practice together at home! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Anna Lee,
    I am so so glad you're still taking tap classes, I knew you would love them! Your class looks like a lot of fun. I wish I could see your jazzy version of Jingle Bells!
    Love,
    Livia

    ReplyDelete